Medical supply companies have done a good job producing kid-friendly medical supplies. There are many opportunities for medical supply purchasers to outfit their exam rooms, hospital rooms, and emergency rooms with brightly colored supplies often dressed as friendly baby animals that kids can cozy up to while undergoing examination or treatment for their disease or injury. There are also products for homecare medical supplies that are designed with kid-friendly characters to improve the child's compliance to therapy. By making the medical supplies appear less institutional, the supplies entertain and calm the child, creating welcome distractions to enhance compliance.
The exam room is an excellent place to start because of the frequency in which children stream through this environment in particular. Here a list of categories where you can make an impact on your exam room decor that will make a child feel less anxiety during their exam.
Room Environment Kits
You can buy kits that come with a room-full of decals for the wall, a themed exam table, medical supplies dressed in character theme, and a roll of exam table paper that stays "on-story." Here are some environment packs from an online store called PediaPals to get you thinking about the possibilities.
- Arctic Theme
- Dinosaur Theme
- Dolphin Underwater Theme
- Elephant Circus Theme
- Jungle Theme
- Lion Theme
- Puppy Theme
- Turtle Underwater Theme
If you have rooms that are already painted and designed the way you want them, and therefore are not in the market for an entire room theme pack, you can buy just the exam table. Here are some of the options at PediaPals to give you some ideas.
- polar bear
- fire truck
Respiratory supplies for kids can be found in exam rooms, hospital rooms, and operating rooms. Home medical supply vendors also may carry respiratory supplies tailored for kids to keep them entertained. Here are some respiratory supplies from Just Kids Medical that ship from Maryland.
- Digger Dog Nebulizer System
- Pediatric Bear Nebulizer System
- Margo Moo Compressor Nebulizer System
- Puff the Penguin Pediatric Compressor Nebulizer
- Neb-u-Tyke Speedster Nebulizer System
- Medquip Duck Nebulizer System
- Medquip Panda Nebulizer System
- Medquip Fire Engine Nebulizer System
- Eden the Elephant Pediatric Mask
- Turtle Infant Respiratory Mask
- Hello Kitty Cool Mist Humidifier
- Spongebob Cool Mist Humidifier
- Duck Cool Mist Humidifier
- Elephant Cool Mist Humidifier
- Cow Cool Mist Humidifier
- Pig Cool Mist Humidifier
- Panda Cool Mist Humidifier
- Dragon Cool Mist Humidifier
Walkers, rollators, and crutches are also made to entertain children. Here are some ideas from Just Kids Medical.
- Drive Tyke Anterior Safety Roller
- Pediatric Anterior Safety Roller
- Drive Comfortable Seat for Nimbo Posterior Walker
- Drive CrawlAbout Crawl Trainer
- Drive Star Posterior Gait Trainer
Want to know more about how to choose a walker versus a rollator?
Conditions like muscular dystrophy and cerebral palsy to name just a few can require children to need extra help sitting upright, standing, and lying down. Here is where you can find more information about products designed specifically for the durability, comfort, and aesthetics that are best-suited for children.
Even the medical instruments doctors and nurses use to perform parts of the medical exam on a child have been dressed for the occasion. Here are some ideas from PediaPals.
- blood pressure kits
- ear and nasal syringes
- measuring tapes and charts
- reflex hammers